One of our favorite quick, easy weeknight dinners is a paleo, low-carb version of the classic Sloppy Joe. It comes together quickly, and the kids love it! My version omits the sugar and ketchup, using tomato paste, apple cider vinegar and a few drops of stevia (optional). For a paleo but slightly higher carbohydrate option, coconut sugar or maple syrup can be used. The batch can easily be doubled and reheated.
Paleo Sloppy Joes
- 1.5 pounds ground beef – grass-fed/grass finished is ideal (85% lean 15% fat recommended)
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow or white onions
- 1/4 cup red or green peppers
- 1-2 tbsp chili powder blend
- 2-3 tbsp tomato paste (I use Kirkland organic)
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp mustard
- a few drops of stevia (optional)
- a pinch salt (smoked salt can be used if desired)
- In a large frying pan, brown ground beef until just beginning to brown.
- Add onion, red pepper, salt and chili powder. Mix thoroughly and cook until done and veggies are tender.
- Add tomato paste, vinegar, mustard, and optional sweetener to the browned ground beef. Stir thoroughly together and simmer for a few minutes for the flavors to release. If a little dry add a small amount of water or broth.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as desired. Serve on top of warmed or toasted Awesome Bunz and enjoy!
Makes 6 approximately 4-ounce servings.